Members of the Ottawa Real Estate Board (OREB) sold 1,194 residential properties in March through…
Ottawa, the capital of Canada, is a beautiful and vibrant city that offers many opportunities for those looking to relocate.
There are several reasons why you should consider relocating to Ottawa, Ontario:
- Quality of Life: Ottawa consistently ranks as one of the best places to live in Canada. It is a safe and clean city, with an abundance of green spaces and parks. The city is also home to some of the best schools, universities, and hospitals in the country, making it an ideal place to raise a family.
- Employment Opportunities: Ottawa is a hub for government and technology industries, with numerous job opportunities in these fields. The city also has a thriving startup scene, which is supported by local government initiatives.
- Cultural Diversity: Ottawa is a multicultural city, with a rich history and diverse population. The city hosts numerous festivals throughout the year, celebrating different cultures and traditions, making it a great place to experience and learn about different cultures.
- Accessibility: Ottawa is a well-connected city, with easy access to major highways, public transportation, and airports. This makes it easy to travel within the city, as well as to other parts of Canada and the United States.
- Outdoor Activities: Ottawa is surrounded by natural beauty, with the Gatineau Hills and the Ottawa River offering opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking, skiing, and boating. The city also has an extensive network of bike paths, making it easy to explore the city on two wheels.
- Affordable Housing: Ottawa has a relatively low cost of living compared to other major Canadian cities, such as Toronto and Vancouver. This makes it an ideal place for those looking for affordable housing options.
- Healthcare: Ottawa has a world-class healthcare system, with numerous hospitals and medical clinics throughout the city. The city is also home to some of the best research institutions in the country, making it an ideal place for those working in the healthcare field.
Cost of Living in Ottawa
Ottawa is generally considered to be an affordable city compared to other major Canadian cities such as Toronto and Vancouver. However, the cost of living in Ottawa can still vary depending on individual lifestyles and choices.
Here are some estimated average costs of living in Ottawa:
- Rent for a one-bedroom apartment in the city center: $1,400-$1,800 CAD per month
- Rent for a one-bedroom apartment outside the city center: $1,100-$1,400 CAD per month
- Average home price: $500,000-$700,000 CAD
- Electricity, heating, water, and garbage for a 85m2 apartment: $200-$300 CAD per month
- One-way ticket on public transport: $3.60 CAD
- Monthly pass for public transport: $119 CAD
- Gasoline: $1.20-$1.30 CAD per liter
- Basic lunchtime menu: $15 CAD
- Fast food meal: $10 CAD
- Groceries for one person per month: $200-$300 CAD
- Movie ticket: $14-$17 CAD
- Fitness club membership: $50-$100 CAD per month
- Nightlife entertainment (drinks and cover charge): $20-$40 CAD
Overall, the cost of living in Ottawa is relatively reasonable and arguably cheaper compared to other major Canadian cities. It is, however, important to keep in mind that the cost can vary depending on individual choices and preferences.
Best Neighbourhood to Relocate to in Ottawa
Choosing the best neighbourhood to relocate to in Ottawa can depend on your personal preferences, lifestyle, and priorities. Some of the top neighbourhoods to consider are the following:
- Westboro: Westboro is a trendy neighbourhood located west of downtown Ottawa. It offers a lively and walkable community with boutique shops, cafes, restaurants, and bars. It is also close to parks and the Ottawa River, making it a great place for outdoor activities.
- The Glebe: The Glebe is a popular neighbourhood located south of downtown Ottawa. It is known for its beautiful homes, trendy shops, and excellent restaurants. It is also close to the Rideau Canal and parks, making it a great place for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Centretown: Centretown is a vibrant neighbourhood located in the heart of downtown Ottawa. It offers easy access to shopping, dining, and entertainment, and it is close to major employers and universities. It is also home to the beautiful and historic Parliament Hill.
- Rockcliffe Park: Rockcliffe Park is an upscale neighbourhood located in the east end of Ottawa. It is known for its beautiful homes, quiet streets, and access to nature trails and parks. It is also home to several embassies and high-end shops.
- Old Ottawa South: Old Ottawa South is a family-friendly neighbourhood located south of downtown Ottawa. It offers easy access to parks, schools, and recreational facilities. It is also home to a vibrant shopping and dining scene along Bank Street.
In short, Ottawa is a great place to live, work, and raise a family. With its quality of life, employment opportunities, cultural diversity, accessibility, outdoor activities, affordable housing, and healthcare, it is no wonder why so many people choose to call Ottawa home. There are several great neighbourhoods to relocate to in Ottawa. Your lifestyle, priorities, and budget will help when choosing the best neighbourhood to relocate in Ottawa.